Thursday, March 24, 2011

Motor City

I'm a Ford girl. Always have been and always will be. I'm an even bigger fan of  American made/owned automobiles. I'm also a lover of the old muscle cars, the Mustang, the GTO, the Cobra, Chevy Super Sport etc. I love going to car shows. My love comes from my dad. Dad was a fireman but on the side he was a mechanic. People would call the house all the time and want Dad to work on their car. He only worked on American cars. He was working on a '65 Mustang that had been restored. This car was awesome. The paint job cost more than my first 2 cars combined. Kevin and I were given strict instructions to not touch the car. If we wanted our bikes we had to walk our bikes out of the garage instead of riding them out for fear of bumping into the mustang. We followed the rules. We were walking our bikes out one day and Kevin fell...the handlebars slid down the mustang. I just knew I was going to be an only child. Luckily, it was the rubber part of the handle bars that hit the car and the car was covered with a blanket. Kevin's life was spared.

Dad has a Torino that he restored. I have begged and begged him to let me drive the Torino but he always says "the car has too much power for you to handle." Um, he's right.

So, what's the point of this post? GM used some billboards in Detroit for the 2007 Dream Cruise Weekend. Thought I'd share them with everyone.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these billboards. These are powerful in so many ways.

They successfully talk to two completely different generations at once, which is difficult to do. What makes it better is that they do it with humor and good old fashioned American pride.

Instead of promoting their current line of automobiles (like everyone else) they decided to remind the people who and what made Detroit a great and successful city.

Hopefully people will understand and see that when we stop buying American we stop supporting America.