Thursday, March 24, 2011

Low Fat Onion Rings

It's no secret that my favorite website for recipes is Ginas Skinny Recipes. Her recipes are easy, yummy, and include Weight Watchers point values.  This past weekend I tried her Low Fat Onion Rings. My oh my! They were so good...I didn't even miss the Sonic onion rings. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. My husband hates onions which means there's more for me!

Tip - The first time I made these I let the sliced onions soak for about 2 hours. The second time I made them I only let them soak for about 10 minutes. Do not skimp on your soak time! The first batch was much better than the second batch due to the soaking time. Allow yourself enough time to let them soak for at least 1 hour.


Picture is from Gina's Skinny Recipes
 Gina's Skinny Recipes Low Fat Onion Rings
Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1/2 • Old Points: 1 pt Points+: 2 pt
Calories: 74.7 • Fat: 0.6 g • Carb: 14.7 gFiber: 1.6 g Sugar: 1.7 g
Protein: 2.9 g  
 

  • 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
  • 2 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup crushed corn flake crumbs
  • salt to taste 
  • olive oil baking spray

Place slices of onion in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over the top and let them soak for about 1 - 2 hours, refrigerated. 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.

Combine panko, bread crumbs and corn flakes in a large dish, season with salt.

Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture; coat well. Place rings onto two cookie sheets. Lightly spray with oil. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

No comments: