Friday, February 18, 2011

Lipscomb University - Go Bisons!

Today's link up over at Kelly's Korner is all about Alma Maters. I graduated from Lipscomb University here in Nashville, TN.  I enrolled as a freshman at David Lipscomb University but by the time I graduated 4 years later the name had changed. I have ball caps, t-shirts, sweatshirts etc that say either DLU or LU.

I was born and raised in Memphis. I went to a private high school and all of my friends were going to Harding University. I wanted to go someplace different (although the recruiter at Harding never would take 'no' for an answer and called no less than 3 times a week. I finally had be rude to him before he realized I was headed to Music City).

Lipscomb University is a Christian school in the Green Hills area of Nashville. I saw Lipscomb go through numerous changes during my 4 years there especially the biggest change of all...going from NAIA to NCAA Division 1.  There were a lot of mixed feelings about the move but it was the best decision Lipscomb could make...if nothing else it brought back the Battle of the Boulevard (Lipscomb vs. Belmont rival).

Notable Lipscomb Alumni (just to name a few):
  • Michael Adams, President of The University of Georgia
  • Marty Roe, lead singer of the country group Diamond Rio
  • Pat Boone, singer
  • Jim Jinkins, creator of the animated show Doug
  • Ray Walker, bass singer for The Jordanaires quartet (most famous for backing up Elvis

Don Meyer, the all-time leader in coaching wins in NCAA men's basketball history, coached at Lipscomb. If you don't know his story you should check out this website. It's an incredible story.




I love Lipscomb and I am so blessed that I was able to graduate from Lipscomb. I have 3 degrees from LU (American History, Political Science, and Accounting). Every time I'm on campus I seem to get lost because it is always growing!
Just like everyone else, I made lifelong friends at my alma mater and wouldn't trade anything for them. Friends that would do anything for you. One of those friends was just recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. It's amazing to see how the Lipscomb family has come together to support, pray, and lift up our dear friend. I wouldn't expect anything less from the Bison family.

I fell in love with Nashville and after I graduated I decided I would make Nashville my home. Although my roots run deep in Memphis (and Memphis will always be home) I'm glad I stayed in Nashville.

Of course I don't have any pictures of me from college on my computer (I'm at work) so I will try to post some this weekend from home.

Go Bisons!

4 comments:

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

Being a Middle TN native, I have a ton of friends from school who went to David Lipscomb- I did not know about the name change! I love to visit Green Hills, especially for the shopping. :D Over from Kelly's Korner!

The Parker Family said...

Hey! Just visited from Kelly's Korner & I also went to Lipscomb. I was there from 95 until 99 & then recruited the Memphis area for Lipscomb.

It is so amazing the testimony that Sara is living in her life right now.

I know this is crazy but I could not figure out who you are from your blog. My name is Rebekah Parker. Maybe we knew each other!

His Doorkeeper said...

Hi! I'm Kelly's Korner's Mom and my maiden name is Lipscomb and supposedly kin to the founder, David Lipscomb. My relatives came from Tennessee.

I thought that might be interesting to you! Would love to see DLU sometime!

Blessings!
Judy

Amanda said...

Hi!
Our dear friend, neighbor, and babysitter is at Lipscomb this year and we miss her! She is having such a great year there. My sister is in Nashville, too, with her husband and baby. Great city!
I live in Little Rock.
Found you thru KK's blog.
Blessings,
Amanda